17th November: Lesson 2º Bachillerato 1 : Writing skills


CLASSWORK

SB,

page 124

page 125

HOMEWORK

WB,

p 22

p 23 

ex.3 & 4

THE DEVELOPING OF A PARAGRAPH

1.  DETAILS

Details are specific points that tell more about the general statement. Read this brochure from a health club.Notice the details that help develop the paragraph.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you´ll love working out at 
the atlas health centre, 
and you´ll love what it does for you! we have 
state-of-the-art exercise equipment in large,












air-conditioned rooms. You can work out alone
 or 





















with the help or our professional personal trainers.              
if you like exercising with friends, join an aerobics
or swimming class_ or even try kickboxing! Our staff 
nutrition experts are always on hand to talk to you 















about health issues. when you have finished you can
relax with a whirpool bath or a sauna. come and 







exercise with us at atlas health centre, and you´ll 
soon be feeling strong and looking good.




























































------------------------------------------------------------------------------



























 
















MAIN TOPIC:
DETAILS:
  1. -
  2. -
  3. -
  4. -
  5. -


2. - EXPLANATION
An explanation tells the reader what something means or how something works. In this paragraph,
find the topic sentence. Then answer the questions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A stitch in time saves nine. " My mother, who likes sewing used
this simple saying to teach me the value of working on problems
when they are still small. Originally the saying referred to sewing-
if you have a small hole in your shirt, you can repair it with one
stitch. But if you wait, the hole will get larger, and it will take you
nine stitches. This simple sentence reminds me to take care of
small problems before they become big problems.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is the writer trying to explain?

Is she successful?
Do you understand the explanation?
yes/no

3. - EXAMPLE

An example is a specific person, place, thing or event that supports an idea
or statement. This paragraph includes an example from the writer´s own experience.
Find the topic sentence.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even when a first date is a disaster, a couple can still become good friends.
For example, my first date with Greg was terrible. I thought he was coming
to pick me up at 6:30, but instead he came at 6:00. I didn´t have time to do
my hair, and my make up looked messy. When I got into his car, I scraped my
leg against the car door and tore my tights. Next, he took me to an Italian
restaurant for dinner, and I accidentally dropped some spaguetti on my shirt.
Then we went to a film. Greg asked me which film I wanted to see, and I
chose a romantic comedy. He fell asleep during the film, and I got angry.
Now that Greg and I are good friends, we can look back and laugh at how
terrible that first date was!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do you think the writer chose to use an example to develop the paragraph?

Give reasons:

Comentarios