CO.MMANDS, ORDERS AND REQUESTS


The commands, requests and advice mostly have the same form in English: verb + object + infinitive (advise, ask, beg, forbid, order, persuade, recommend, tell, urge, warn etc.).
Unlike the direct speech the person addressed must be mentioned in the indirect speech.
"Get up!" he said. - He told me to get up.
"Please, revise for the test," he said. - He urged me to revise for the test.
"Put on your coat," I said. - I advised him to put on his coat.
 Negative commands, requests and advice are made by verb + object + not + infinitive.
"Don't hesitate," he said. - He persuaded me not to hesitate.
"Don't smoke," the doctor warned my father. - The doctor warned my father not to smoke.















  1. She said, "Go upstairs."
  2. "Close the door behind you," he told me.
  3. "Don't be late," he advised us.
  4. "Stop staring at me," she said.
  5. "Don't be angry with me," he said.
  6. "Leave me alone," she said.
  7. "Don't drink and drive," she warned us.
  8. "John, stop smoking," she said.
  9. "Don't worry about us," they said.
  10. "Meet me at the cinema." he said.
Tell can introduce statements, commands, requests or advice. The form is different, however.
Statements with tell
"I'm leaving," he told me. - He told me that he was leaving.
Commands, requests or advice with tell
"Leave the room," he told John. - He told John to leave the room.
"Don't give up," the teacher told her students. - The teacher told the students not to give up.

Similarly ask is used in reported questions, commands, requests or advice in different forms.
Questions with ask
"Will you make coffee?" he said. - He asked me if I would make coffee.
Commands, requests or advice with ask
"Make coffee, please," he said. - He asked me to make coffee.
"Don't park in my place," Greg told me. - Greg asked me not to park in his place.


Comentarios