Tips 1 & 2

1

Certain verbs are followed by V+ing or a noun. Si traduces del español y en esta estructura pones un infinitivo, siempre estará mal en inglés. Avoid doing it.= Evita hacerlo.

AVOID,   BE WORTH,   DISLIKE,  LIKE,  HATE,  LOVE, ENJOY,  FANCY,  HELP,  KEEP,  MIND, PRACTISE,  RISK,  CAN´T STAND y algunos más. Si quieres ver una lista más completa ve a las páginas 127-128 del SB, Distinction 2, OXFORD.

It´s not worth waiting for a bus at this time of the day. (no vale la pena esperar…)
I dislike having to get up early.( Me desagrada tener que…)
Do you like meeting people from other countries? ( ¿Te gusta conocer…?)
I don´t fancy going out this evening.( No me apetece salir…)
John can´t help laughing when he sees you! ( John no puede evitar reirse…)
I wish you wouldn´t keep interrupting.( Ojalá no me interrumpiérais..)
I don´t mind helping you do the washing-up. (No me importa ayudarte a fregar …)
Jane misses going for long country walks. ( Jane echa de menos irse de paseo por..)
You should practice introducing yourself. (Deberías practicar presentándote.)
You can´t risk starting a fire in the forest. ( No puedes arriegarte a comenzar un incendio…)
I can´t stand going to office parties. (no soporto ir a las fiestas…)

2

If a preposition or a phrasal verb with a preposition is followed by a verb, the verb goes in the V+_ing form, except with the preposition “TO”.
I am not capable of UNDERSTANDING this.
She talked about CHANGING her job.
Soap is for WASHING.
She´s good at SWIMMING and DANCING.
I apologise for DISTURBING you.
A bag is for CARRYING things.
He insisted on PAYING for everything.
You can´t live without EATING.

Comentarios