Ana´s Diary: 2nd December 2013


2º Bachilerato 1

WB: CORRECTION  PAGES 27 AND 28
SB: DONE PAGES 36-37 on the same gramar point, which were homework, but unfortunately we ran out of time and couldn´t correct them in the class. All these exercises and the homework page should be REVISED .

HOMEWORK: WB, PAGE 29

Next day we will complete a paper on complex sentences INCLUDING gramar points studied in units 1, 2 and 3. My idea is showing the students how I am asking these topics in the evaluation text.
I have also encourage them to draw a summary/scheme of unit 3 linkers of constrast, purpose, reason and result.



                                                            


COMPLEX SENTENCES  (AFTER READING THE GRAMMAR APPENDIX, SB PAGES 119-120)

A complex sentence is made up of a simple sentence (a complete statement or a definite clause) and a statement that begins with a dependent word, linking word, connector or conjunction.



Here is a list of common dependent words:


after
although/ though
as
because
before
even though
how
if,
even if
in order to
since that,
so that
unless
until
what
whatever
when
whenever
where
wherever
whether
which
whichever
while
who
whose





A complex sentence is used when you want to emphasize one idea over another in a sentence.  Look at the following complex sentence:

Because I forgot the time, I missed the final exam.


The idea that the writer wants to emphasize here - I missed the final exam - is expressed as a complete thought.  The less important idea, - Because I forgot the time - is subordinated to the complete thought. 

The technique of giving one idea less emphasis than another is called subordination.    Following are other examples of complex sentences.  In each case, the part starting with the dependent word is less emphasized part of the sentence.


 
 While Aisha was eating breakfast, she began to feel sick.

I checked my money before I invited Pedro for lunch.

 When Jerry lost his temper, he also lost his job.

Although I practiced for three months, I failed my driving test.






1)Practice:

Underline the main clause once and double-underline the subordinate clause.

When ice is on the road, drive more carefully.

Unless I’ve misunderstood the store clerk, the package should arrive next Thursday.

Jim wanted to go to the concert, but he couldn’t get off work



I obtained a credit card. • I began spending money recklessly. 


 a.  When I obtained a credit card, I began spending money recklessly.    
b.  After I obtained a credit card, I began spending money recklessly.       
c.  I began spending money recklessly after I obtained a credit card.  


Alan dressed the turkey. • His brother greased the roasting pan. 

a. Alan dressed the turkey while his brother greased the roasting pan.    
b. While his brother greased the roasting pan, Alan dressed the turkey.  
c. After Alan dressed the turkey, his brother greased the roasting pan.




















2)     Form complex sentences:

 
1- The instructor announced the quiz.    - The glass groaned.       



2.  - Gene could not fit any more groceries into his cart.     - He decided to go to the checkout counter.




3.  - Your car is out of commission.     - You should take it to Otto’s Repair Shop.     



4.  - I finished typing the paper.      - I proofread it carefully.   





  


 

Comentarios